Totally Trades! Fall Sessions
Registration is Open!
For the past 18 years, NVME has provided hands-on conferences for girls* (8th grade through high school) to encourage them to consider nontraditional careers–careers in which women are underrepresented. While we are not able to offer an in-person conference this fall, we are providing Totally Trades! virtual sessions online until December 15, 2021 at no cost to participants. Workshops feature programs available at Career and Technical (CTE) schools. *Workshops are for self-identifying girls and gender-expansive youth.
Fall 2021 Totally Trades Sessions
Why: to learn about ten high-wage, high-demand nontraditional careers in which women are underrepresented
When: watch anytime until December 15, 2021
Where: online, on demand; register first
How: online pre-recorded session links will be provided to school staff or homeschools when you register students. Choose session(s) to watch when it is convenient for you and your students.
- Automotive Technician
- Cable Technician
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Police Officer
- Software Engineer
- Solar Power Installer
- Wind Turbine Technician
- Earn While You Learn
Workshops are offered at no cost, brought to you by New Ventures Maine in partnership with Maine Career and Technical Education/MaineDOE, the Maine Department of Transportation, and community businesses and sponsors.
- Technicians inspect cars, diagnose problems, and repair vehicles to keep drivers and passengers safe.
- Learn what it’s like to install and work on phone, internet, and cable connections inside and outside of homes and businesses.
- Carpenters install and construct walls, forms, floors, and siding for homes, new buildings, highways, and bridges and are essential to our living and travel needs.
Earn While You Learn
- Earn money while learning new and valuable career skills! Watch this session to explore ways to get paid to acquire skills and start building your career.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Emergency Medical Technicians respond to emergency calls, provide immediate medical care and transport patients to emergency medical facilities.
- If fighting fires and rescuing people from danger interest you, check out firefighter career path options in this session.
- If you want to protect and serve your community, watch this session for career options for women in criminal justice.
- Software engineers create programs that make the digital world possible. If you like working with computers, join this session to learn how to build a career in this in-demand field.
Solar Power Installer
- Explore a career that protects the environment and uses natural resources to produce energy!
Wind Turbine Technician
- Turbine Technicians repair and maintain wind turbine equipment to ensure the efficient production of wind power.
For more information about Totally Trades! Virtual Career Sessions or future Totally Trades! events, contact Suzanne Senechal-Jandreau at 207-768-9635 or email@example.com. Support Totally Trades! sessions with a donation.
There are Career and Technical Education (CTE) Centers and Regions throughout Maine that provide hands-on training programs for high school students. For more information about a CTE Center close to you, visit mainecte.org.
Many thanks to the presenters and guest speakers who share their work activities and their career and education pathways with students.
Funding for Totally Trades programming is provided by the Maine Career and Technical Education/MaineDOE and the Maine Department of Transportation. Additional support and in-kind contributions are provided by businesses and community partners.
MMG Insurance Company
Cary Medical Center
E. L. Vining & Son
K-PEL Industrial Services
Washington County Community College
S. W. Collins Co.
Soderberg Company, Inc.
|Making Career Choices||2021-12-07 December 07, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Resume Strategies||2021-12-09 December 09, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Interview Strategies||2021-12-16 December 16, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Building Confidence||2022-01-12 January 12, 2022|
(ends January 26, 2022)
|Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Building Confidence||2022-02-03 February 03, 2022|
(ends February 17, 2022)
|Build your Career||ONLINE evening||Statewide|
|Making Career Choices||2022-02-24 February 24, 2022||Build your Career||ONLINE evening||Statewide|
|My Next Career Move Self-paced||2022-01-05 January 05, 2022|
(ends May 31, 2022)
|Build your Career||ONLINE Anytime||Statewide|