For the past 18 years, NVME has provided hands-on conferences for girls* (8th Grade – High School) to encourage them to consider nontraditional careers – careers in which women are underrepresented. While we are not able to offer in-person conferences this spring, we are providing Totally Trades virtual workshops online in April and May 2021. *Workshops are for self-identifying girls and gender-expansive youth.
Register Now for Upcoming Totally Trades! Spring Sessions!
Girls in grades 8 – 12 from around the state participate in workshop sessions to explore careers in a variety of fields in which female workers are underrepresented. Workshops feature programs available at Career and Technical (CTE) schools.
Many thanks to presenters and guest speakers who share their work activities and career and education pathways with the students.
School Registration (please use this link if you are a school registering one or more students)
Individual Registration (please use this link if you are a student, community member, or staff person registering yourself only)
Upcoming workshops include:
April 27 (Tuesday) 9:00 – 10:00 AM – Automotive
- Explore a wide variety of careers in automotive trades. Technicians inspect, diagnose and repair vehicles to keep drivers and passengers safe. In the auto body shop, skilled technicians make a damaged car as good as new.
April 27 (Tuesday) 10:00 – 11:00 AM – Criminal Justice
- For better unity, help your community! Interested in a career in law enforcement? There are so many different jobs to explore! If you want to protect and serve your community, there are career options for women in criminal justice.
April 29 (Thursday) 9:00 – 10:00 AM – Building & Design
- Look through a window into the future of home design. Hear from inspiring women in architecture and construction. Learn how sustainable design can be a career path that leads you into the future of designing and building quality housing.
April 29 (Thursday) 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – Earn and Learn
- Would you like to earn money while learning new and valuable career skills? Are you a hands-on learner? Please join us to explore ways you can get paid to acquire new skills and start building your career.
May 4 (Tuesday) 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Renewable Energy
- This session is for students who are interested in protecting the environment and our natural resources. We will explore careers in sustainable water treatment, wind power, and solar energy.
May 4 (Tuesday) 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – Communications and Connectivity
- Learn what it’s like to work on phone, internet and cable connections inside and outside homes and businesses as a cable technician. If you like working in different environments, meeting new people, and working independently this career is for you.
May 6 (Thursday) 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM – Fire and Rescue
- Calming fears, easing minds, and saving lives! Does fighting fires and rescuing people from danger interest you? If so, check out some career path options in Fire & Rescue. Learn about firefighters, dispatchers, emergency response services, and more!
May 6 (Thursday) 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM – Computer Technology
- Have you been spending more time online and using computers every day for school? Do you enjoy using technology, problem-solving, and helping people? Come learn how to turn your computer skills into a career by hearing from women working, teaching, and hiring in the computer technology field.
Funding for Totally Trades program is provided by the Maine Department of Education/CTE and the Maine Department of Transportation. Additional support and in-kind contributions are provided by businesses and community partners.
For more information about Totally Trades Virtual Career Week or future Totally Trades events, contact Suzanne Senechal-Jandreau at 207-768-9635 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Financial support is provided by:
MMG Insurance Company
Cary Medical Center
E. L. Vining & Son
K-PEL Industrial Services
Washington County Community College
S. W. Collins Co.
Soderberg Company, Inc.
There are Career and Technical Education (CTE) Centers and Regions throughout Maine that provide hands-on training programs for high school students. For more information about a CTE Center close to you, visit mainecte.org.
|Resume Strategies||2021-04-28 April 28, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Making Career Choices||2021-05-04 May 04, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Interview Strategies||2021-05-05 May 05, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|Making Career Choices||2021-06-03 June 03, 2021||Build your Career||ONLINE Daytime||Statewide|
|My Next Career Move Self-paced||2021-05-10 May 10, 2021|
(ends June 14, 2021)
|Build your Career||ONLINE Anytime||Statewide|