A Hands-on Conferences for 8th Grade and High School Girls.
New Ventures Maine organizes free, one-day Totally Trades! conferences throughout Maine to encourage female students to consider careers in fields traditionally dominated by men.
This year almost 800 girls will have the opportunity to explore careers in trades and technology. Featured careers include:
- Heavy Equipment Operation
- Information Technology
- Building Construction
- Cable Technician
- Plumbing and Heating
- Alternative Energy
“We give girls a hands-on workshop experience to spark their interest and raise awareness about a career field that they may not have previously considered, as well as provide female role models – women who can lead by example, having already succeeded in pursuing work that traditionally is viewed as ‘man’s work’,” says Suzanne Senechal-Jandreau, Aroostook County Regional Manager.
Mark your calendars!
The Totally Trades! spring 2019 conferences are right around the corner:
- Westbrook: Friday, March 22 at Westbrook Regional Vocational Center
- For more information, contact Lisa Sweet at 799-5025 or email@example.com
- Bangor: Friday, April 5 at United Technologies Center
- For more information, contact Tom Grogan at 262-7843 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presque Isle: Wednesday, April 10 at Northern Maine Community College
- For more information, contact Suzanne Senechal-Jandreau at 768-9635 or email@example.com
- Rockland: Friday, April 26 at Mid-Coast School of Technology
- For more information, contact Melinda Wildes at 593-7942 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auburn: Friday, May 17 at Central Maine Community College
- For more information, contact Chris Davis at 753-6531 or email@example.com
Primary funding is provided by the Maine Dept. of Transportation and Maine Dept. of Education/Career and Technical Education. Additional in-kind and financial support is provided by:
- Cynthia McMullin Fund for Women of the Maine Community Foundation
- Hardypond Construction
- Charter/Spectrum Communications
- Central Maine Community College
- Foster Career and Technical Education Center
- Mid-Coast School of Technology
- Northern Maine Community College
- Washington County Community College
There are Career and Technical Education (CTE) Centers and Regions throughout Maine that provide hands-on training programs for high school students. For more information about a CTE Center close to you, visit mainecte.org.
For more information on how New Ventures Maine is working to introduce girls and women to non-traditional career fields contact Jean Dempster at 207-621-3434 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|Exploring Careers||2019-05-23 May 23, 2019||Build your Career||Boothbay Harbor||Midcoast|
|Building Confidence||2019-06-05 June 05, 2019|
(ends June 12, 2019)
|Build your Career||Bangor||North Central/Downeast|
|My Next Career Move||2019-05-15 May 15, 2019|
(ends June 19, 2019)
|Build your Career||ONLINE||Statewide|